I knew there was a problem with the furnace.
Every so often, I would hear a small boom coming from the furnace.
I called the HVAC company who suggested I turn the furnace off until the HVAC technician got there. They were sending him to the house as soon as possible. She made the situation sound so dire, that I turned the furnace off, and put my jacket on when it began to get cold. An hour later, the HVAC technician was at the door. He headed directly to the furnace room and started working on the furnace. I heard a loud boom come from the furnace, that reverberated through the ductwork. I opened the basement door, hoping I wasn’t going to see any flames. The HVAC technician appeared to be temporarily stunned, but he said he was okay. Apparently there was a gas pocket. When he touched a wire, the gas pocket lit, which caused the boom. He said he wasn’t going to get the furnace repaired any time soon, and asked if I had somewhere to go for the night? I could easily call my mom, best friend, or even my fiance, but I didn’t want to leave the house. He said it was supposed to get really cold that night, and if there were more gas pockets, even a space heater could cause a spark. He scared me enough that I called my mom and asked if I could spend the night there. I told her I would explain why when I got there because I didn’t want her worrying about the furnace if I didn’t arrive immediately.